Monday, June 9, 2014

Opening Speech : LESS IS MORE

In 2012, I stayed in US for 6 months to do a part of my research. It was in North Carolina. At the end of my stay, one of my friends from our department, Physics Department, asked me if I will organize any farewell party. I answered, "No, I am not organizing one"
With guilty face, he replied, "owh, maybe your housemate is planning one for you"
"Hurm, actually, nope.."
Then I remembered something so I quickly told him, that I will not have a farewell party but we have lunch and dinner dates. For example, two days before, my housemate and I invited our Singaporean friend to our apartment. We cooked and had dinner together.
"That is how we celebrate! Some of my friends also brought me to an Indian restaurant for lunch last week!"
"I see... So, you and your friends choose to have small groups of friends eating together instead of a party with many people!"

Yes, he was right. It is not about how many friends come to you to say Good Bye and wish you all the best for your future that make you happy, but how much quality time we spent with our friends is more important. At least, for me.

So then, I invited him to our apartment that weekend. Can you imagine, myself, cooking in the kitchen with a handsome Dutch guy? Uhuurmm.. We cooked together, had dinner together and talked about many things. We, including my housemates, smart and fun Chinese & Vietnamese girls had fun that evening. Even it was only four of us.

Same like this evening's meeting. Yes, not so many people are here. Only, 1, 2, 3, and yes, 4 members of UTM Toastmasters Club. But a large number of attendance is not important for me now. I still can feel the fun. I don't think number matters.  Why? It is not about how many 'human bodies' inside this meeting room, but I am sure, very sure that all 'human bodies' here have SINCERE HEARTS, to attend, to support, to contribute and to learn while having fun together. That is more important, right?

Yes, all of you, coming here with sincere hearts, congratulations and thank you. Please give a big hand to all of us.

People say, the more is the merrier. But for this evening, I choose to believe, less is more.

****************

Here are some photos, capturing beautiful moments with friends when I was in US.

 
The Dutch guy I mentioned, Joshua. We're making karipap.
 
With one of my housemate, Thanh (from Vietnam) while Lan (from China) was taking the photo.


Karipap in progress.
 
Melissa, from Singapore, eating Karipap (the next day) while playing batu seremban I made. She said she miss that game (I cannot remember how Singaporean call that game)
 
Lan's labmate, finishing all the prawn cooked by Lan.
Beef & pineapple, prepared by Lan. Lovely!


I miss this dish, also by Lan.


One of the dishes I had in an Indian restaurant there.

Huh, I can keep posting because I have more photos and have more to share. But, next post, okay?
BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment