Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Opening Speech : TIME



Opening Speech - 22nd October 2013

L&G (Ladies and Gentlemen)

Have you ever think, “I wish I have more than 24 hours per day”?
Had you ask, “Why Friday only happen once in 7 days?”?

After meeting a deadline for example, I always feel like, “I can do this task better if I have more time”. Did you experience this feeling before?
So, I am not alone.

Those entire situations happen when we feel like we need more time. I am reading a book, Time Keeper, anyone read this book before?

In the introduction of this book, it has this statement ;

"There is a clock in our walls or the dashboards of our car. We have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner date, or a movie. Yet, all around us, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late, a dog doesn not check its watch, deer do not fret over passing birthdays.
Man alone measures time.
Man alone chimes the hour.
And because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures.
A fear of time running out."

But then,  I found a quote, that make me feel like actually we don’t need extra hours in our day or extra day in a week. 

“There is a reason why God limits our days. Why? To make each one precious”

It is like a limited edition product. It becomes so special and the demand is high because it is limited. And for those who have the limited product, they feel so satisfied, “Yes, I manage to collect all the limited edition toys from Mc D, the minions!”

Please allow me to read some sentences from Quran,

By TIME,
Indeed mankind is in lost.
Except for those who have believe and done righteous deeds
And advice each others to thruth
And advice each others to patience

Therefore, to make sure that we are not included as a person that having a MEANINGLESS life, we must keep reminding ourselves or others, especially our beloved one about kindness,+ve things, and we need to be patient about this because it is not always easy. Reminding about good things is including, remind about the importance of saving, of reading, or being nice to others and in our case, remind members about preparing and playing an effective role in Toastmasters. And, we need to be patient when people answer, “I have no time”. And the biggest challenge when we remind a friend, not a TM yet about visiting UTM TMC and they say, “I give lecture everyday, so why should I learn public speaking?”. Remember, we need to remind about good things, patiently, to make our life MORE MEANINGFUL TO OURSELVES AND OTHERS

With the limited of time, eerrm.. let me correct this. To save our precious time, let me proceed by announcing our new SAA. Our club needs new SAA, who will be responsible with the club properties. When I first asked this person to take up the role, I was rejected. This person is a softspoken person but at that time, I see him as very cruel. But then I feel like I have a hope when after he rejected my proposal, he asked me, “Ain, where is our club properties? Like the gavel. And, I feel like I want to buy and fix the light for timer.” I was saying to myself, “He rejected to be the SAA but he actually asking Q showing that he is doing the SAA’s jobs.”

So then, I did not give up and ask again, “Please.. be the SAA of our club.. please.. help us…”
“Haaa.. I don’t like this face.. okay la.. okay la.."

And he is, our new SAA, CC Koh Meng Hock!
Today, our new SAA is the Toastmaster of the Evening. I will now pass the control of the meeting to the Toastmasters of the Evening, CC Meng Hock!

No comments:

Post a Comment